Archive for the ‘Wikipedia’ Category

The Saga Continues

Tuesday, August 28th, 2007

I have removed ActiveLinks as I decided I don’t like the curly brace linking style, and I can’t quite fathom how to modify it so that it hides the mark-up in my style. It is in part a failing in the style that I have used as it picks some odd places to use templating functions and in part an oversight of the plugin authors (of both WikiLinks and ActiveLink in not adding actions that strip out links in certain circumstances.

I gave WikiLinks a try and it generated a large number of errors, although works on my local test blog I will have a play over the next few days if I get a chance. We have friends coming to stay so updates may be few and far between (as if anyone actually notices I posted twice in one day). I have put a load of the annoyances I have with the blog on the Annoyances page, hopefully I will get a chance to work through them.

Style Change Log:

Current Revision 11

  • index.php – Changed from summaries to full text for posts
  • single.php - Added Post MetaData bar at base of Single Post
  • archive.php - Adjusted spacing on Archive Pages
  • style.css - Changed entrys to be justified
  • rsidebar.php - Halved the number of recent comments to 5

Wikipedia Plugins for WordPress

Tuesday, August 28th, 2007

I have great faith that Wikipedia can make a great day to day resource for personal reasearch, and be a starting point for academic research (not that I would recomend using Wikipedia as a reference for anything remotely important). As I tend to like linking to Wikipedia from blog posts I am looking for a plugin that allows me to do so quickly. I have found two plugins that seem to contain the features I want.

ActiveLink – Found this one through the Official WordPress plugins database it seemed to do more than I needed (i.e. Multi-Language) however I seem to of discovered a bug in either my style or in the plugin itself as pages on the front page show the markup rather than the link.

WP-WikiLinks – Again this does more than I need, as it also does Amazon, ISBN numbers and more. It also has the advantage of being more “Wiki-Like” than ActiveLink. Not having tried this one yet I don’t know if there are any pitfalls.

I am going to experement with WP-WikiLinks later in the day to see if it is an improvement or if it suffers the same issues as ActiveLink.

Update

After taking a look at this it appears that neither ActiveLink or WP-WikiLinks process the text output through the_content_rss(), however strangely enough no markup or anchor is output on the RSS pages.